Ways to Honor Greatness in the Locker Room
Is your locker room full of heroes? If you work for a sports organization, a police station or a firehouse, your answer is probably yes. So how do you honor those among you who truly deserve it? Public recognition is wonderful, but there’s something intimate and respectful about having a space in your locker room to draw attention to achievement as well.
- A trophy case is an old-fashioned way to honor greatness. Even today, though, it’s a great reminder of what your organization has accomplished and an inspiration to reach even higher in the future. If you’re not ready to dedicate enough space for a big glass case, consider an open wooden locker, mounted above the other lockers in the locker room, with trophies and awards on display.
- A certificate of award can make someone feel appreciated, but a plaque lasts longer. Don’t just think of the kinds of plaques you put on the wall either; a plaque mounted on a piece of furniture, dedicating it to someone special, can be a very meaningful tribute.
- Photos are also good wall décor. Hanging photos of those who have accomplished great things can inspire others to do the same. Photos captured at the moment of greatness can be a dramatic and attractive addition to your locker room.
- Retired jerseys make for inspirational locker room décor. It’s a great honor to have your jersey number retired, and retired jerseys can be hung on the walls, or displayed in cases, to remind future players of the greatness of the ones who wore those numbers.
- One of the nicest things to do in a locker room is to stop using a locker. Retired lockers, like retired jerseys, focus the attention of those who come after onto those who came before- and excelled.
- Get creative, to make something meaningful. You know your group better than an outsider would. What would be most meaningful to those you seek to honor? At the University of Michigan, for example, there’s a wall that currently has 910 footballs embedded in it – one for each Michigan football victory. What would help your organization celebrate their accomplishments?
If you’re in charge of furnishing a locker room, Legacy Lockers has what you need. Legacy Lockers is America’s foremost creator of custom lockers and related furnishings for golf and country clubs, resorts and spas, fitness centers, health clubs, and team athletic facilities, and can even provide high quality storage lockers and school lockers. For more information about Legacy Lockers, visit the website or call 866-937-1088.